Tuesday, October 10, 2017

I find my own "amateur" sites blocked in another workplace


Today I was at an office for a business matter.  I had brought my ASUS laptop and Verizon hotspot. When I didn’t have the Verizon password with me, I had to use the office wi-fi.

I found that Sophos security under “officedefender.com” (which is not reachable) blocked my own “doaskdotell.com” site under category “politics/opinion” and blocked two of my own blogs (Blogger) with their own domain names under “uncategorized.”

It did not block CNN or the Washington Post.  I wonder if it would have blocked Brietbart.
It did not block Facebook or Twitter (even Donald Trump’s Twitter page).

It did not block blogs of mine that don’t have their own URL’s and are accessed by Blogspot (with https). Yet these would elicit politics or opinion.


There seems to be a question as to how workplaces should block “amateur” sites. 


  

When I worked at ING (to the end of 2001) my sites were not blocked. When I worked as a substitute teacher, school libraries did not block my sites.  When I worked as a debt collector in 2003, there was no web access through the company’s P2P access to its own servers (Unix terminals).

No comments: