Sunday, September 03, 2017

I do end user testing of companies as a customer


I worked on billing systems on two of my major employment gigs from the 80s into the 90s. 

Recently, I did overlook a bill with my local gas company.   I had had problems with its website before, but when I got a collection notice, I went online immediately and got in, and paid by check.

At first, it seemed to work.  The site listed the payment as “pending”.

The payment did not show up on my bank.  So I checked an hour later and the payment had disappeared. I did not get a confirming email. But I had written down the confirmation number. So I called the collections department.  The collector couldn’t find the payment, so I did it over the phone again.  It disappeared again.

The next day, though, both payments showed up again. 

Am I doing the user testing for this company’s collections system even though I don’t work for them?  

No comments: