Saturday, April 08, 2017

You actually need labor (help) to keep your Internet world running


When you leave a company, and most of all when you get laid off, you leave all that work behind, modules or programs or jobs (in the mainframe world) you had supported for years.  I could say that “the bills” (around 1991) have been supplanted by “the blogs” (present day).  Same sense of instant gratification.

But I really own all my work now – the three (really four) books, and thousands of blog postings over the years, and various legacy online sidebars and essays.  As for “the bills”, I lost access to them permanently, and instantly, when my career took its cardiac arrest on December 13, 2001.

But I find that the infrastructure to keep everything going requires support, just as it did when I was working.  Companies are constantly changing things.  Google replaces Adsense on Wordpress, and I have to stop and figure out how to do it.  One day soon there will be a lot of work to go to all htpps, probably.  Even my cable TV service has sudden radical changes, with new boxes that require you to use Internet TV, effectively.  The changes are more needed by others than by me, but I have to learn how to use them.
 
After all, for years I worked in “in house” applications, as companies needed to pay programmers to maintain applications.  They needed to pay systems programmers to put in new gens of MVS and CICS.  Even applications programmers needed to fine tune access techniques (by like using the right SQL access techniques and avoiding deadly embrace lockouts) for high volume performance and user response time. As my little journalism experiment encompasses everything, should I be able to get away with no staff? I am the ultimate creative destroyer.

No comments: