Saturday, February 04, 2017

Rare laptop fire at southern CA home; fortunately, "the kids are all right"


A 2006 Dell laptop exploded while charging on a couch in a southern California home recently.  It exploded four times before finally stopping.  The kids were home and fortunately nothing else caught fire. The story is here.

The old laptop had a lithium battery that had been recalled.  Such fires are rare, but the incident could raise question again about airlines.

Most of us have to carry our laptops with us, as hotel business centers are generally rather inadequate. Yet, around 2000 or so it was still common for people to depend on Internet cafes with desktops (like Kinkos) with time to rent while traveling.

Remember, Donald Trump says, "No computer is safe".

No comments: