Monday, November 09, 2015

Offhand train conversation raises a question about employee background checks


‘Whenever I take Amtrak or fly, I usually overhear a lot of workplace conversations.  No, I’m not the NSA.  People just talk rather loudly.  It seems a lot of people are furiously finishing spreadsheets for meetings on the airbooks.  Some are talking about their “negotiating positions”.  It seems that this world out there is awfully competitive. 

I heard a guy talking about his background investigation, and a concern that his name isn’t on a girl friend’s lease where he was living.   
  
I thought, what might have happened from 2003 on when I came back “home” to look after mother, but my name wasn’t on any lease or title.  Maybe I could have been denied a job or a clearance.  I wondered. 

No comments: