Saturday, October 31, 2015

Now you can do "house interviews" by Skype; does anybody remember EDS?


For the first time that I can recall, I got an email offering an interview by Skype, for a contract mainframe position with state government in Raleigh, NC.

I’ve done plenty of phone screenings in the past.  I don’t recall ever being asked to use Skype before.
 
That would mean the candidate needs to spruce up and dress (maybe with a coat and tie for men), and remove any distracting clutter in the room behind where his or her face would show.  The candidate would need to pay heed to lighting (including natural sunlight) and any glare issues.  Possibly a touch a makeup would be needed.

This reminds me of the practice of giving unannounced “house interviews” by EDS (then H. Ross Perot's company -- and Perot hasn't become the subject of multiple movies the way Steve Jobs has) of job candidates back in the 1960s.

No comments: