Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Microsoft lets Windows 10 get in the way of normal Windows 7 and updates this week


This week, Microsoft offered its usual mid-month Wednesday morning (or Tuesday night) Windows updates, but a bit of a twist.

If you go to updates in the Control Panel in Windows 8.1 (or 8, or 7) and “check for updates”, now you get prompted to download and install Windows 10, which I have not checked a “reservation” for.  (I did have Geek Squad put in Windows 10 on my largest computer, with some issues that I have described already).  If you look closely, you can see “Show all available updates” just below, for your current operating system,  But when you check the updates individually and click OK, nothing happens. Furthermore, the "updates were installed on" doesn't show.

To get the updates to install, so that it doesn’t install with the machine logged off, when I can’t tell if it is even working, I had to go to the settings and up the time to do the automatic update to the next hour, and indeed that worked, on a Toshiba Satellite (8.1) and older Dell XPS (7).  In time, the list of installed updates would populate.  But there seems to be no way to do the updates “manually” and watch them the way I used to.

Later Wednesday I found that a Lenovo ultra-book and older Gateway with 7 worked normally, but this could because more time had elapsed since Microsoft published the updates Tuesday evening.


No comments: