Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I now have Windows 10 -- one instance of it


Well, I have Windows 10 now on one computer, the HP Envy.

Preliminary impressions are that it is simpler than Windows 8.  But when I tried to find the Action Center, Microsoft goaded me to log on to the account.  It also advised me I could set up a Pin. 

The next time turned the machine on (and the power had been disconnected once totally to move the electric outlet back to UIP, the machine forced me to log on to Windows 10 with my email and my Microsoft password, which I had fortunately memorized.  I didn’t realize it would do this.

The notification icons are different.  There is some controversy over which security company should be used, which I’ll talk about tomorrow on the Internet Safety blog – still getting facts from vendors on Twitter messaging.

Some sites (AOL) required reentry of passwords (but Facebook and Twitter did not).  Final Draft required re-activation with the product code to get out of read-only mode. 
  
Another concern as again a hurricane approaches is staying connected (I’m not near the Ocean and about 300 feet above sea level).  The iPhone hotspot to Verizon LTE works almost as well as the Comcast connection through a home router.  A UIP and a generator are a good idea. 
  
I’ll have to keep tabs on the question as to whether the update process causes hangs.  I’m told by Geek Squad that there were problems with “reservation mode” updates at home, which in-store conversions to W10 at Best Buy should circumvent, but these problems may have been resolved by now. 

Update: Oct. 1

One little problem.  Sometimes, the keyboard input (the letters) stops working if the machine goes to sleep.  A restart always recovers the function.  Will check further.


Update: Oct 2

Got the same fake hardware error after an attempted random HP restart even in W10.  Resetting power button does bring the machine back up.

Update: Oct 4

Today I had some trouble with Quick Access in the File Explorer, which caused thumbnails to be invisible, and for renaming and copying to directories in Explorer to be impossible (it still worked in command prompt).  The problem went away when I forced closed it when hung once.   

No comments: