Tuesday, September 01, 2015

HP Envy: suddenly, the video display goes extraterrestrial with the colors


Tonight, a very strange video card problem.  On my HPEnvy desktop, the Microsoft extra-solar planet shore scene came up with interesting colors, red instead of blue for the shore.  It really looked like Titan, maybe. But then when I played videos or looked at stills, there was a lot of bleeding red where it did not belong.

I restarted the machine, and the problem did not go away, an in fact the black screen had a red tint.

So I unplugged the machine for a minute, replugged it, then brought it up under Windows 8.1 abbreviated startup as usual. This time the problem went away and the colors were normal (the book took longer than usual for a quick-start).  The best reference I could find on the problem so far was here

 

No comments: