Monday, May 04, 2015

Problem where Windows 8.1 hangs when printing


Here is a little more history on the instability I have with the HP Envy desktop.
  
I needed to submit an amended return on state income taxes.  I brought up the HRBlock PDF of the tax returns and went to the printing panel and specified only the pages for the state return, and changed the default “One Note” to “Brothers printer”.  When I tried to print, the machine froze on 0% printed.
  
I pressed the power button and got the machine to force-restart and brought up the PDF again.  I tried to print the entire document, and the machine seemed to freeze again. But this time, when I hit the power button, it started blinking and printed three pages.  I hit the power button (on the computer, not the printer) again and it printed the rest of the document.  Then the computer worked normally.  I went ahead and restarted it properly from the Windows 8.1 desktop power options anyway.
  
Normally, I can print Word and other PDF’s (like movie tickets) without incident.  Something seems to be  different about the way HRBlock formats its PDF’s.  Somewhere, between Hewlett Packard firmware, Windows 8.1 (both with many updates), and Adobe there is a coding problem.  Maybe another update from HP or Microsoft would fix this.  I haven’t tried this on  a Toshiba, that would take time to set up. 
  
The events log shows here:

“The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.”

“The server {BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.”
  
I’ll check with HP.


No comments: