Monday, March 09, 2015

Notes on a Toshiba Satellite firmware update


Today, I did a firmware update on my Toshiba Satellite.  It updated the Bios from Version 1.2 to 1.6
However it behaved a little differently that other Service Station updates.  It required actual connection to external power, and the “Install” process, after the normal Windows 8.1 Firewall, went to an unusual console-like screen to show the update. 

The Restart would not complete (after the Toshiba icon came back up) until hitting the power button one more time, which the instructions did not tell the user to do.

Because I had a battery issue last week, I wonder if this update does deal with potential power supply management issues. 

The update was dated Feb. 2.  I admit I hadn’t checked, and might have risked complications by not doing it until after DST change.

It is very important to keep laptops that will be used in travel updated as soon as the firmware or OS updates come out.  Laptops should be checked for updates several days before air travel, and used more frequently and powered up completely before going to the airport.  
    

The newer Satellite does not have its own recovery drive.  I don’t know how that would affect the Microsoft Restore Point. 

No comments: