Sunday, March 15, 2015

No, I don't have time to BetaTest Microsoft, Intel, HP and Toshiba "advanced" features that cause crashes


On March 12, 2015, when I got home from a day trip and logged on to my HP Envy, I got a notification that the desktop had been updated, and the system forced me to run one more update (past the Windows 8 Firewall).

The update seemed to involve the Intel Technology Access Driver and two applications, as well as the Microsoft 6to4 adapter and ISATAP adapter.

I don’t know what these drivers do, and the forums on the Internet are unclear as to what they accomplish, example here.
  
But since the update, I find that the wireless Bluetooth keyboard won’t come on at all until I do a full Restart (the Windows 8.1 pseudo-instant-start seems to have dropped it), and over time, the mouse becomes jerky, with the Reliability monitor reporting  On the activity Reliability log, I see a message “Windows Wireless Lan 802.11 extensibility framework has stopped working”. 
   
I need to use my machines for my own business and art applications.  I don’t have the time or money for a systems programming staff to maintain an unstable operating system with bloated, unnecessary features that I never use and that cause crashes.  I don’t have time to beta test Microsoft’s. Intel’s, and HP’s (and Toshiba) systems.  

No comments: