Thursday, March 05, 2015

Mark Zuckerberg's rule for hiring


Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s CEO, has an interesting rule-of-thumb when interviewing job candidates.
  
“I will hire someone only if I could work for him or her”.  That is, upward affiliation is out.
That’s the message in a Marketwatch article by Quentin Fottrell, here
  
At Applebee’s, an upscale family restaurant chain, a candidate for an executive job was asked “Are you better than me?”  The answer was “yes”, but the candidate would not have been hired if it had not been affirmative.  I can remember that we all retired to Applebee’s on University Ave. in St. Paul MN the night I gave my lecture on my book at Hamline University, on crutche, in Feb. 1998.  It’s an evening I remember well.  (I got a speeding traffic driving home, my most recent one still). 

No comments: