Monday, October 27, 2014

In Windows 8.1 on the HP Envy, USB ports get disabled mysteriously


My latest fiasco with Windows 8.1 is that on my HP Envy, sometimes the two USB ports on the screen attachment stop working, and sometimes even the base-USB port registers but isn’t recognized by the command prompt, although File Explorer sees it. 

The way I got it to work was to put a camera into the base USB port, use the camera software.  I restart the machine (not cut if off, but actually use the restart tab on the tablet desktop).  I go through the process one more time.  Then all the ports work normally, so far.

Microsoft has a KB, but the hotfix test did not work, as it said my machine wasn’t compatible.  Don’t know why.  Here is the link

One other little thing.  Windows 8 is supposed to close flash drives for you.  In Windows 7, you were asked to close it so you could safely remove it.  Maybe that part of this isn’t working right, as Windows admits that a USB flash drive can become disabled after a device is removed.  But the explanation isn’t very clear as to why.
  
Another oddity is that my Carboniite app somehow got uninstalled.   I re-installed when I went to my account.
   
Does anyone know more about this?

No comments: