Thursday, March 27, 2014

Vox Media seeks developers of news apps

I’ve mentioned job openings at Vox Media in Washington DC before (Feb. 26), but I thought I would pass along a post today for “Data /visual / news apps reports”, link here. The site encourages application with LinkedIn.  The company tweeted ("@voxdotcom") some job openings today. 

You can read the discussion of what a “news app” is here.  The skills required would include html, MySQL, CSS, Ruby, XML (no mention of XSL), and MySQL.

It strikes me off hand that this sounds a bit like am “Opposing Viewpoints” project I envisioned a few years ago, to be out on Microsoft Access and then SQL Server, or alternatively MySQL.  I describe this on the “Bill Boushka” blog on Feb. 29, 2012. 
  
From 2002 until 2006, I had played with a “javastarter” site which I folded when the hosting company collapsed.  This site would have housed a lot of the “opposing viewpoints” logic.  I do have a private version of it with Microsoft Access, and a piece of it is implemented on a Unix site with MySQL and relatively few entries.

I will go back and look at the technical details of this little site, which I set up in late 2006 when the javastarter had failed.

There is also an “Opposing Viewpoints” book series from Michigan, in which I have an essay published, discussion on the Book Review blog, Sept. 19, 2006.

I am rather intrigued by the concepts that Vox is proposing, and expect I will contact the people (a couple of whom I know) in the reasonably near future.  But I have some more of my own homework to get done right now, one major piece of which is to go through and evaluate all of my fiction writing dating back to 1969, because some of it is, I think, actually commercially promising, and I do want to publish some more fiction.  So, in my situation (retired at 70) I need to stay on this until this analysis (or “content evaluation” phase, to borrow a euphemism form Xlibris) is done.
    
I do think that “understanding the news” has a lot to do with “connecting the dots” and seeing how “your” issues have to be view in the context of related issues as they can affect “others”.   Libertarianism has tried reduce policy to very elementary ideas about personal responsibility, but in a real world, our interdependence on the sacrifices of others produces moral questions that, for any one of us, present very definite horizons.  We are all literally at the center of our own universes.  The modern nature of space-time predicts this.    

No comments: