Thursday, November 21, 2013

Technology sites talk about employee social media and blogging policies, and they do affect personal use (and they're not always "free")


Tech Republic sent out an email today with a link to it’s suggestion for a corporate blogging policy.  When I went to the link (here) I found that it wanted a subscription to Tech Pro Research for $299 a year.  I don’t think I need that myself, but here is the link.   

“About.com” has a sample corporate blogging policy which recognizes that the policy needs to cover blogging and social media use both on the job and away from work, with one’s own materials.  The policy is thorough but reasonable, with link here. I would expect Tech Republic’s to be similar. So, you can read “About’s”, and “it’s free”.
   
Techsoup has a privacy policy for non-profits and charities here.  Toward the end of that policy, there is discussion of the “work v. personal” axis, and it is more explicit in suggesting that employees, when blogging or using social media, should always use privacy settings and only allow whitelisted followers or “friends” to have access.  That would pretty much shut down “broadcast self-publishing” like what I do.  But I have suggested that people with direct reports or underwriting or grading or evaluation responsibilities should adhere to this idea.
   
The modern social media world has pretty much obliterated the distinction between work life and private life.  Facebook’s policy of requiring real names, and Zuckerberg’s idea that anonymous or pseudonymous speech shows lack of integrity has contributed to this idea.
 
I see that I discussed corporate use of "social sentry" products on employees on my main blog on Aptil 20, 2011.  



No comments: