Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Suddenly, I get a "Preparing Windows" from Windows 8; Start Menu back?


Today, when I powered u my Toshiba Windows 8 Satellite, I was greeted by a spinning wheel (like Camille Saint-Saens) and a message “Preparing Windows” next to my user name.  The preparation ran for about ten minutes.  When it came up, most of my desktop was gone. But there was a Start Menu (on the right side, in the hidden zone, brought up by clicking on the lower right corner). 
  
I went into Word, and found it had lost its place in “recent documents”.
  
I restarted the machine (with a cold boot), and the next time everything on the desktop came back, including all the bookmarks.
  
I think Windows 8 had updated yesterday.
  
Does anyone know what is going on?  I can ask the Geek Squad at Best Buy (where I got it) soon. 
  
Here is the best link I could find.

No comments: