Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Disturbing behavior" from a well-known browser tonight (DNS errors)

Google Chrome played a trick on me tonight.  My Dell XPS laptop, with Windows 7 (which had replaced Windows Vista) had been on all day and in use intermittently.

After some work on the Mac (my piano music) and on Windows 8 (book manuscripts), I came back to blog, and was looking at the notes on a movie on Amazon's imdb.com.   I went to look up the trailer on YouTube, and suddenly I got a DNS error.

So I tried a number of sites.  On most Chrome said it could not find the DNS.  But they all worked on Mozilla.  Weird.

I restarted the machine, and the problem with Chrome went away.  I am in this as I blog this.

But upstairs, in Windows 8, I  kept getting the same error from Chrome on a PBS station, but everything else worked.

I've never seen Chrome have this sort of problem before.  The Internet provider is Comcast Xfinity (allows up to five machines).  I didn't try the problem on Verizon before rebooting.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Update:

The next morning, on another computer, YouTube embeds would not work in Google Chrome until the machine (Windows XP) was restarted.  

1 comment:

hotmail customer care phone number said...

Nice Blog , thanks for sharing the information