Thursday, March 28, 2013

Does past discrimination cause LGBT to be under-represented in jobs requiring security clearances?

While I was changing trains at the Pentagon Metro today, I spotted a banner for “Clearance Jobs”, link here.

 This is a site that screens people for jobs requiring clearances, and, guess what, having an active security clearance is a prerequisite for registering at the site.

I didn’t go that route because I entered the market when homosexuality was a problem – in 1970 – although I did have Secret clearance in the Army (yes, I served despite the ban, but could not get a TS), and again when I worked for the Navy Department 1971-1972.  I left that world for the commercial financial space for my mainframe career.
  
The banner was above the turnstiles coming from the Pentagon Building.  I wanted to snap a picture of it without people.  I thought, they wouldn’t want people with clearances being photographed, would they.  In fact, in my “novel” manuscript, a high school history teacher with a background in military intelligence works “part time” for the CIA, and can’t tell the kids when they have a sub.  He left active duty for -- you guess what reason (DADT), but married a woman and is raising three great kids anyway.   That artifact, of my own writing, made me hesitant.  Finally, I noticed a “no photography” sign on a fence near the turnstiles.  Obviously, they don’t want people with clearances (maybe some of them contractors and not regular Pentagon employees or servicemembers) subject to photography.  This is the only “No photography” sign I have noticed in the Washington DC Metro system, and it isn’t very conspicuous.

How does the sequester affect "clearance jobs"?  Probably not as much as the media claims.    
  
First picture: Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Alexandria, VA.  

No comments: