Friday, March 15, 2013

A "moment of silence" for how my I.T. career started in 1970; the spoils of a deserted Camden, NJ


On Wednesday, after taking a look at the “poorest” city in the United States, Camden, NJ, I drove through Cherry Hill, NJ, which is where my work career in I.T, began on February 16, 1970. 

I had gotten out of the Army a week before, and as I recall I left my parents’ home in Arlington VA early Sunday afternoon – it was snowing – took a bus to Philadelphia and somehow got over to the Cherry Hill Inn, and went to work officially in the RCA personnel office Monday morning.  

I drove past the old RCA building, which is now just a general office building with many tenants, and couldn’t park for a shot, but got a picture of the street a couple blocks away, as “commemoration”.

RCA at one time did manufacturing in Camden, NJ; it’s departure does have something to do with the decline of the city.  Only Philadelphia and St. Louis have immediate “suburbs” in adjoining states that are poorer than the cities.  
Camden does have light rail (is it part of Philadelphia's?)
I didn't get such a good shot of the Navy ship at the Camden waterfront.  Center city Philadelphia, acorss the Delaware River, is just out of sight in this picture.  One wonder why libertarian author Charles Murray, in his book "Coming Apart" (reviewed March 14, 2012 on the Books blog), didn't talk about Camden NJ as well as the Fishtown area of Philadelphia. 

No comments: