Saturday, December 10, 2011

Interim jobs of the past ten years : a lot of them involved personal regimentation: Become a prole!

I’m coming up on the ten-year anniversary of my career-ending layoff (Dec. 13, 2001, and more reliving of that day will certainly take place. 

But I thought I would note this morning the litany of interim jobs I either did or considered over the past ten years, reaching age 68 now.

For example, one of the longest jobs I held was the first one, a “telemarketing” (call it “telefunding”) job with the Minnesota Orchestra Guaranty Fund, from April 2002 to June 2003.  It was part time, but still in easy walking distance on the Minneapolis Skyway and it gave me some stability. 

I then took a job that wound up just going two months, at RMA (Risk Management Associates), a collection agency, near the MSP airport, before deciding to come back to Virginia.  I applied for a job with a collection agency in Rockville – getting there would have been much more of a hassle – in early 2004, but I “wasn’t selected”. 

Before settling in an becoming a substitute teacher for a while, I had actually applied for an hourly job at Hollywood Video in 2004. 

I also considered jobs with the US Post Office.  I found out that rural delivery wasn’t good, but almost had an offer as a letter carrier in Nov. 2004. The hooker was that they couldn’t get a hold of my medical records from Minnesota on the hip fracture I had sustained in a convenience store fall in 1998. It’s a very physical job, to say the least. 

The most intimidating possibility was to become a TSA screener.   Having resumed flying recently, I can say that this is a job that I don’t think I could do now.  But I went to the open house at a Bloomington MN hotel in August 2002.

Another idea that I looked at was newspaper delivery, in my own car.  But can I imagine getting up at 2 AM every day to start the runs?  

One theme that comes up repeatedly with many of these jobs is personal regimentation.  I accepted it when I was in the Army, but it seems unthinkable now.  Imagine the regimentation of low-wage workers on assembly lines in China, whose labor we depend on.


Get kicked out of the bourgeoisie, and welcome to the Proletariat!

No comments: