Friday, July 01, 2011

Why was Microsoft Front Page such a pain at one time, anyway? Getting started with Expression


This week, I finally got around to playing more with Microsoft Expression Web. I did find it very easy to set up the kind of tabular and link-laden web pages common in my work. However, I was not able to connect to my doaskdotell.com domain directly as I had with FrontPage.

Of course, with WS-FTP, export to an external site is lickety split, as always.  Expression also offers the same FTP connection, so maybe there is no reason to bother with signing on and updating directly.

What I do recall is that Front Page Extensions used to be a big controversy for webmasters ten or more years ago. Back in January  1999, a friend, who hosted my sites, got mine working through TelNet from work, which raised an ethical question with my manager if that was inappropriate use of resources (after all my contortions with “conflict of interest” as I have written about), except that everything was done through Telnet, so there was not use of company computing resources.  (Curiously, I never hear this scenario discussed in perambulations about corporate computer use policies. But, it’s not good to invite even small ethical lapses; they just invite more uncertainty later.)

At work twelve or so years ago, I had always used Allaire Home Site to code the HTML, and then an intranet copy script of some kind. Later, we went to builds and did everything through Unix.
So why was Microsoft Front Page ever offered the way it was and why was it such a big deal?

No comments: