Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Microsoft appears to be pushing Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 automatically now

Today, Windows 7 threw its Service Pack 1 at me on my main “big Dell XPS” laptop. I didn’t know what it was until I let it run. It took about 20 minutes to install, and about 25 minutes to “configure” before the Restart shut down.  In fact it went through a second “Configuring Service Pack 1” cycle a second time, more quickly, before shutdown. The reconfigure after restart didn’t take as long as expected.

The update report says that KB2547666 and KB2547698 failed.   I ran the “troubleshooter” and it says it repaired some problems. I suspect that Windows will throw these updates at me again soon.

On my smaller Toshiba notebook, I see that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 update failed (see 6/24 posting).  I’ve had some other troubles on it with configurations hanging. Maybe a similar fix is needed there.

Here is what Microsoft says about SP1 on 7, link.

The SP was available Feb 22, 2011. “How to Geek” says that the SP is option and will not install automatically, but on both my W7 computers, Microsoft has tried to install it automatically this week, the last week of June. It appears that it is becoming “mandatory”.  (The article has a humorous illustration about dropping what you are doing and staring at “0% Complete screen”.)  Here is the “HowTo” link

 It does say that if you get regular updates, you don’t need SP1 for security reasons.

Windows 7 Forums from Microsoft publishes the following 47 “short film” on YouTube:  

Don't know why the embed is "supersized"!

No comments: