Friday, October 22, 2010

Microsoft Live Essentials creating problems with automatic updates in Vista, 7

On a Windows Vista Dell XPS laptop, Windows update keeps trying to send me the Windows Live Essentials 2011 “important” update KB2434419. The update fails (allowing me to cancel it), saying I have a different “flavor” of Windows Live. But Windows Update center lists the update as “successful”.

In fact, I usually turn off Windows Live during startup; I chat very little except with tech support at various companies (Comcast, Verizon Wireless, McAfee, Webroot, etc).

Also, since this started, the computer sometimes hangs “shutting down”. It always reboots OK if I wait at least one full minute.

It looks like it’s back to Best Buy and Geek Squad to unravel Microsoft mistakes.

Why is Windows Live an "important" rather than "optional" update?

Here’s a posting about the problem in a Windows 7 environment. Some people say the update hangs all day.

No comments: