Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Vantage One still seems to rule the mainframe market!


Just in the past few weeks, I’ve noticed an upswing in a few mainframe jobs, particularly Vantage One programmers for life insurance legacy policy administration systems. I also got an request for a CICS systems programmer, an odd request since nothing in my resume justifies such a focused job.

Vantage One seems to have kept paying the mortgages (even subprimes!) for a lot of programmers; in a generally bleak and uncertain market Vantage has held up well. Vantage, they say, rules the world! Because of some mishandling on my part, I missed a chance to switch over to Vantage as far back as 1991, before it was a certain thing (in those days, VLn was almost still legitimate – both systems had a heavily “paramaterized” architecture [like schedule records] expressed in VSAM files or DB2 tables).

No comments: