Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Okay, I did a Registry Cleanup (with Regcure) today


Well, I tried Regcure (registry repair and cleanup) today. With a 5-year old Dell 8300 XP Home, I was getting failed startups (hanging before the startup menu worked), one keyboard failure, one mouse failure, and intermittent slowness, especially right after startup.

Regcure found these error counts:

Com/Active X 29 (repaired 58)
Uninstall 33 (repaired 37)
DLL 9
Windows startup 1
Path files (HKLM) 1070
Program shortcuts 428
Empty registry 493

It took about 30 minutes to do the scan, then reran the scan after selling a license key ($39.95); the fix took about 15 minutes.

The number of Hkey errors was surprising (4% of the total).

I then restarted. It’s too early to say what will happen.

I later noticed that my incorrect McAfee subscription date (which I was always having to verify) mysteriously got fixed. I wonder if that was from a registry error (an extraneous key record that needed to be deleted).

I welcome other comments from those with experience with registry cleanups.

No comments: